Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sleeping

Mommy and Daddy had it good a couple months back...other than mommy having to get up to pee three times a night, they could have a peaceful night's sleep. Then i came along. The first weeks i was just so tired...i would sleep for 20 hours a day. Now, I don't really think naps are critical and this makes my meltdown hour even more enjoyable for Mommy and Daddy. Normally between 6 and 7 at night, i start to crumble. Mommy and Daddy have figured out that I will calm down some when i go outside. I like to sit on the front porch and have the breeze blow through my hair. So you may be thinking, that is great...mommy and daddy can take you for walks in your stroller and enjoy the evenings. You silly adults...i don't like sitting in my car seat. It restricts me from throwing my arms and legs around like i love to do. Don't even think that riding in a car puts me to sleep. It just makes me cry even louder. This makes for some fun outings, but it has really made Mommy and Daddy think about traveling. 5 hours in a car...when do they go, what time do they leave??? To all of my family in NC, i will be coming down soon to visit, I promise.
Nights are equally adventurous. Sometimes I am ready, sometimes i am not. Some of mommy and daddy's friends came over and brought their 3 month old girl, Grace (you may remember her from mommy's blog). They stayed up late, until 11pm...funny isn't it when Mommy and Daddy think 11pm is late, oh the joys of parenthood. When they took me up to bed, i laid in my co-sleeper (best purchase my parents have made) and quickly went to sleep. I slept for a whole 5 hours. Normally I am up every 3-3 1/2 hours so mommy and daddy were overjoyed when thinking that this was going to be a normal routine. Ha Ha Ha...i am back to my 3-4 hour intervals. Mommy and Daddy still feel blessed that i sleep that long. Hang in there guys...it will get better.

1 comment:

Andria said...

It will get better! It will!!! Just remember: everything (both good and bad) is a phase. Before you know it, your baby will have moved along to something new! One day you think they'll never, ever nap...and then, suddenly, napping will start to get better.

For Nora, napping was the last thing to really "get" -- I think she was about 8 mos. old when she started taking "good" (a.k.a., "Cole-style") naps. But she has been a world-class napper since then. I thought it would never happen (especially because I never made her "cry it out" at naptime), but it finally did. And I had to laugh in empathy at your description of taking Peyton outside to calm him down. Somehow, it's the only thing that seems to interrupt their upset state of mind, isn't it? Our neighbors would laugh and wave when Nora was a baby, because every evening there we would be, going around and around and around the cul-de-sac. Carrying her, of course.

Soren's going on 6 months now, and we're still working on the sleep thing with him...but I can promise you that with every month (except for a few minor, temporary setbacks) things have gotten better.

Hang in there! Sounds like you are doing a great job. Peyton is a lucky guy.