Thursday, December 3, 2009

There's a Mouse in the House...and it's not Mickey

So my lovely wife calls me around 10 o'clock this morning and the first words I hear from her...

"I need you to come home".

These were uttered in a shaky, scared voice. I have heard this voice before, when the Christmas tree with all of her Hallmark ornaments (and that is a lot...trust me) fell a few years ago. There were also the two times that Peyton fell down our hardwood steps (not just one or two...the whole flight of steps, and there was a third time he fell down the steps, but he was riding on my belly as I slid down the entire flight of steps on my back...a couple days after I finished the 1/2 Marathon--but she didn't call me because I was in our foyer on my back--laughing and crying).

This was a bit more of an urgent voice though, so my mind quickly turned to panic as I thought something had happened to her or Peyton. I got her to calm down and she said...

"There's a mouse in the house". I was thinking there is always a mouse in the house and Peyton loves to bring him (Mickey) to you and have you push on his foot that makes him sing a Christmas song and then Peyton just dances and dances until the song is over and then he brings it back and says, "Push".

It must be a different mouse.
I asked, "Where".
She answers, "Peyton's playroom".

Oh no...is Peyton in there playing with him? I work about 20 minutes from the house so getting home was not a quick option so I called my brother-in-law who works in our neighborhood to see if he could help. He came right over, along with one of my cabinet installers who happened to be in the neighborhood doing a job. I kept Amy on the phone (feeling like a 911 dispatcher) and told her to block the doorway into the rest of the house. The forces arrived, entered the home, located the mouse and tried to capture him, but it was too quick. It went under our undercounter refrigerator in our bar area and that is where it remains, even now--between the back edge of the hardwood floors and the wall. I picked up a bunch of traps (Sorry PETA) and surrounded the area, much like the SWAT team getting ready to move in.

And what was Peyton doing this whole time? He was sitting on the couch watching TV as if nothing was going on. I should probably note that the TV and Couch are in the next room (where I had Amy blocking the door). Amy is still shaken that there is a mouse loose in our house. I will try to get pictures of the crime scene when i get home. I wish I would have had video because words do this story little justice.

At least Mickey has a friend to play with :)

1 comment:

Andria said...

All right, this was pretty funny. I loved the idea of Hutch & co. busting in like a SWAT team. Hope your traps work!